Ten Questions to Ask Student First Semester
Staying engaged with your student is important, especially during the first semester when your student is still acclimating to college. Our top 10 questions range from practical to social to open-ended discussion topics.
- Do you know who your academic advisor is and where his or her office is located? If not, do you know how to find that information?
- Can you name four friends you have made at BW?
- Are you involved in at least one activity at BW?
- Have you set a realistic goal for your grade point average for the end of the semester?
- Can you name at least one faculty, staff or administrative person you could go to in time of need?
- Do you know where the Health/Counseling Center, Career Services Office and Learning Center are located? Do you know the hours they are open?
- Do you know how to check your mid-semester progress report on-line and when it will be posted?
- Do you know the day that you are supposed to register for classes next semester?
- Have you begun to identify strategies for success?
- Are you eating "an apple a day"? That is, are you focused on wellness initiatives that include nutrition, exercise and stress management?