Military & Veteran Students

Baldwin Wallace University offers a supportive learning community and the resources needed to assist service members transitioning from the military to higher education. BW has been recognized by GI Jobs magazine as a Military Friendly School since 2008. As a chapter member of Student Veterans of America, BW sponsors a Student Veterans Organization that promotes camaraderie and has recruited faculty and staff with military backgrounds to mentor students and create a campus environment supportive of our military community.

Educational Benefits for Veterans

The GI Bill has helped educate some of our nation's greatest leaders, including three U.S. presidents, three Supreme Court justices, 14 Nobel Prize winners, 12 U.S. senators and 24 Pulitzer Prize winners.

Receiving VA Benefits - VA Form 22-1990

Your first step in receiving educational benefits for your military service is to submit VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits) - either by paper or online. The Veteran's Online Application (VONAPP) allows you to submit your request online. If applying online, you must send the VA a signature card - they will not process any application without a signature.

A number of web links and contacts are listed on the right side of this page to assist you. In addition, a good resource is, a web site designed to assist service members and veterans with clear, comprehensive guidance on the steps to making the most out of their Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits.

Financial Aid

Yellow Ribbon Program

Baldwin Wallace University is pleased to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program and to offer eligible military veterans an opportunity to attend BW basically tuition-free. Find out about the Yellow Ribbon Program at Baldwin Wallace.

Ohio National Guard Scholarships

If you are receiving a scholarship from the Ohio National Guard, contact Carolyn McCluskey in Financial Aid to make sure that BW has a copy of your scholarship approval through the Ohio National Guard.

VA Form 28-1905

If your eligibility for benefits includes submitting the VA Form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance/Re-entrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status), please contact:

Marcia Shaffer
Cashier's Office
(440) 826-2218

Enrollment Certification at BW

Once you have applied and been admitted to Baldwin Wallace University, you will need to work with Baldwin Wallace to certify your enrollment to the Veteran's Administration (VA). Each semester, BW must report how many hours you will be enrolled during that term. To have your enrollment certified at BW each semester, contact:

Denise Manke
Registration & Records Office
(440) 826-8030

Enrollment verification is done by the student at the end of each month to let the VA know that your enrollment information has not changed. Your enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of the month online or by calling toll free (877) 823-2378. The VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility that states your remaining entitlement and monthly disbursement amounts. Your GI Bill check will normally be mailed to you at the beginning of each month for the previous month. (For example, the check you receive in October covers your eligibility from the month of September). If you have questions, call (800) 827-1000 to speak with a Veteran's Benefits Counselor in the Department of Veterans Affairs.

College Credit for Your Military Training

Veterans understand that their commitment to military training required intensive learning and skill development in many areas. They are often surprised to learn that this training and education is worth valuable college credit toward a bachelor's degree at BW.

How Does Military Credit Work Toward Your Degree?

To honor and acknowledge your military training and experience, Baldwin Wallace University grants up to 25 transfer credits to veterans who have received an honorable discharge for their military experience and training. This is in addition to any college work you may bring to BW from other regionally accredited colleges and universities.

A review of your DD Form 214 earns the following credit:

  • 2 credits - HPE 205 First Aid and Safety Education
  • 4 credits - HPE 221W Personal Health
  • 0.5 credits - HPE 110W Personal Wellness
  • 1.5 credits - HPE Activity

In addition to the DD Form 214, equivalencies may be granted for military courses, training and experience that have received ACE college recommendations, if they are within the academic scope of Baldwin Wallace University. If equivalencies cannot be awarded, then general elective credit will be granted toward the BW degree to a maximum of 25 hours.

To obtain military transcripts, the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard have adapted a new, consolidated system called Joint Service Transcript. Transcripts can be accessed right now by using your CAC card or creating a login ID and password.

When applying for admission to BW, make sure the Admission Office has copies of your DD Form 214 and any official military transcripts detailing your training and education, in addition to any high school or college transcripts. Once you have been admitted to BW, the Office of Registration and Records will review these records for college credit.

Additional College Transfer Credit

College work completed through approved military colleges (such as Community College of the Air Force) and other regionally accredited colleges/universities will be considered for transfer credit in addition to military-related college credit. As part of the admission process, official transcripts must be sent directly from these institutions to the BW Office of Admission before credit can be considered.

College Level Exam Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) helps you earn college credit for what you already know. Find out how you can earn credit through CLEP.

Veterans Support Team

Baldwin Wallace has a great team representing different offices on campus who will work together to answer your questions and help you achieve your educational goals.

Adult, Transfer and Military Services

Nancy Jirousek
Director, Adult, Transfer and Military Services
Adult and Continuing Education Office
(440) 826-2298

Veteran Support Team Coordinator

Randy Stevenson
Military Services Coordinator
Adult and Continuing Education Office
(440) 826-5920

Veteran Student Organization/Student Veteran Services

Joe Baker
Student Veteran Representative
Adult, Transfer and Military Services Office
(440) 826-2250

Enrollment Certification and Military Transfer Credit (Certifying Official)

Denise Manke
Academic Information Specialist
Registration and Records Office
(440) 826-8030

Hannah Schlueter
Registration Specialist
Registration and Records Office
(440) 826-8028

Cashier's Office - (Vocational Rehabilitation/Chapter 31)

Marcia Shaffer
Student Loan Administrator
Cashier's Office
(440) 826-2218

Cheryl Munaretto
Head Cashier Specialist
Cashier's Office
(440) 826-2216

Financial Aid

Carolyn McCluskey
Financial Aid Specialist
Financial Aid Office
(440) 826-8044

Career Services

Judy Mey
Career Advisor
Career Services Office
(440) 826-2462


Yvonne Hathorn
Admission Counselor
Admission Office
(440) 826-2915

Academic Advising

Shannon Fee
Academic Advising Assistant, Undergraduate Day Program
Academic Advising Office
(440) 826-2188

Lorrie Beatty
Associate Director of Adult and Continuing Education
Adult and Continuing Education Office
(440) 826-2295