Community Research Institute
The BW Community Research Institute (CRI) provides consulting and research services to government agencies, nonprofits, foundations, community-based organizations, businesses and the media including:
- Opinion polls and surveys
- Focus groups and interviews
- Content analysis
- Demographics surveys
- GIS social and political mapping
- Needs assessments
- Evaluation studies
- Feasibility studies
- Market surveys and analyses
- Documentary & secondary source research
- Big data analysis
CRI also serves as a laboratory for teaching our students research methods, providing hands-on experience in applied research, and multi-media training in the methodology and substance of research on social and political issues. Experienced, full-time BW faculty make up CRI's professional staff and have direct oversight on all CRI projects.
Tom Sutton, Ph.D, Director, BW CRI and Professor of Political Science
Dr. Sutton has spent 15 years as a professor at Baldwin Wallace, including research in education policy, elections, the U.S. Supreme Court, and the Presidency, as well as fifteen years of management experience in education and social service nonprofit organizations. Dr. Sutton also serves as the Political Analyst for WEWS Newschannel 5, the Cleveland ABC affiliate.He holds a Ph. D in Political Science and Public Policy from Kent State University and a B.A. in Political Science from the University of Virginia.
Lauren Copeland, Ph.D., Associate Director, BW CRI and Assistant Professor of Political Science
Dr. Copeland is a self-described “politics and data science nerd,” with research activities that lie at the intersection of political communication, political behavior, and public opinion, with a current focus on the relationship between digital media use and political participation. She earned both a Ph.D. and M.A. in Political Science from University of California, Santa Barbara and a B.A. from DePaul University in Chicago.
Pierre David - Professor of Business Administration
Dr. David is the author of a textbook on international logistics and most recently worked as one of the two lead consultants on the NEORSD projects. He also worked as an author for Accenture’s Supply Chain Academy (Dublin, Ireland) on international logistics. and has consulted with several small firms in the Cleveland area on marketing and marketing research issues.His education, all in marketing with a secondary area of operations management, includes a Ph. D from Kent State University, MBA from The University of Pittsburgh and an MBA from The EDHEC Business School in France.
If you are interested in contracting our services, please contact our center.
The CRI survey research center is equipped with state-of-the-art computers and telecommunications equipment that enable accurate gathering and analysis of information using both quantitative and qualitative methods. The center is equipped with twenty call stations for conducting survey calls and data collection for analysis.
Past CRI Consulting Projects
- Cuyahoga County Libraries: Summer Reading Program Assessment (2015)
- Cuyahoga County Board of Elections: Bilingual Ballot Access Survey (2013)
- Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library: Resident and Customer Survey (2013)
- Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District: Customer Service Satisfaction and Awareness Study (2012)
- Downtown Cleveland Alliance: 'Creative Class' Business Survey (2012)
- Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District, Advertising and Rate Change Perception Survey (2011)
- Downtown Cleveland Alliance: Perceptions of Cleveland as a Business Location Opportunity (Northeast Ohio Survey) (2011)
- Cuyahoga County Public Library and East Cleveland Public Library: Feasibility Study of Library Inclusion (2010)
- Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District: Survey of customer awareness of NEORSD public awareness campaign for the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District (2010)
- Cuyahoga Heights City Schools: Social Studies curriculum evaluation (2009)
- John Carroll University: External review of the political science department (2009)
- Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District: Public awareness issues household survey (2009)
- Downtown Cleveland Alliance: Survey and focus groups measuring attitudes about living in downtown Cleveland (2008)
- Presidents Council: Emerging Entrepreneurs Program Evaluation (2008)
- A statewide survey of Ohio residents to measure their opinions about public school funding reform (2007)
- Public Interest survey of residents in seven southwest Cuyahoga County suburbs to measure opinions concerning merging fire and EMS services (2005)
- Survey of Parma households concerning watershed awareness for the West Creek Conservancy (2013)
- Spanish Language Voter Survey for the Spanish Language Advisory Council of the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections (2011)
- A survey of Cuyahoga County voters gauging their opinions about the fall 2010 elections (2010)
- A study to determine public interest in creation of an arts district and restoration of the Gordon Square Theater for the Detroit-Shoreway Development Corporation (2005)
- A survey of Cuyahoga County residents to measure public opinion concerning potential alternative uses for the Burke Lakefront Airport (2004)