The financial aid office (FAO) maintains a list of scholarships and resources outside of the BW community on this page. Students should also do the following:
- Complete the scholarship and special award application each year.
- Check with family members to see if their employers or membership organizations offer scholarship opportunities.
- Incoming freshman should also check with their high school guidance office which may be aware of opportunities.
Many websites offer free scholarship searches while some do require a fee. Fee-based resources may be scams. Before paying for anything related to scholarships, find out if they arelegitimate. Always check out a site thoroughly before providing any personal information.
- College Resource Network – free scholarship search and college planning
- Outside scholarship list - list updated regularly by the BW Financial Aid Office
- Scholarlink– Ohio-based scholarships from The Columbus Foundation
- Top Ten Myths About Scholarships - presentation by Mark Kantrowitz of Fastweb and FinAid
The Cotillion Society of Cleveland
The Cotillion Society of Cleveland scholarship is awarded to an incoming freshman from the Greater Cleveland area who meets the eligibility criteria on the application.
United Methodist Scholarship Application
All United Methodist scholarship opportunities can be found through the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (Deadline: March 1) and the United Methodist Higher Education Fund (Deadline: March 1).
OUTSIDE SCHOLARSHIP POLICY
Federal regulations require you to report any outside scholarship you receive to the FAO. The FAO will apply your outside scholarship to your unmet need first by reducing Parent PLUS loans or alternative loan eligibility. When necessary, the FAO will reduce self-help portions of your financial aid package (Direct loans, federal work-study) rather than reducing grants or other scholarships. In rare cases, some grants and scholarships may be reduced if the amount of an outside scholarship is such that all self-help aid has been eliminated from a student's financial aid package.
Outside scholarships are credited to your account after the FAO receives the funds, processes a revised award letter for you and forwards the funds to the cashier's office. They are included in your financial aid award on a "hold" status but will not reduce the amount of your bill with the cashier's office until they have been received and processed.
Scholarships are listed by application deadline date, with the most immediate deadlines listed first. Since these opportunities are outside of BW, eligibility requirements and application deadlines may change without notice.