Military & Veteran Students


BW's Federal ID Code: 003014

BW's Yellow Ribbon Program

Baldwin Wallace University is pleased to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program and to offer eligible military veterans an opportunity to attend BW basically tuition-free.

The Yellow Ribbon GI Educational Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. BW is an accepted, eligible institution participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Qualifying, eligible veterans may receive 100 percent of BW tuition assistance through a combination of Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Benefits, the Yellow-Ribbon Program and BW's Yellow Ribbon Award Program. The tuition benefit includes both undergraduate and graduate study and either full-time or part-time enrollment.

How do I qualify?
Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate, as determined by service requirements, or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty servicemembers and their spouses are not eligible for this program. Child transferees of active duty servicemembers may be eligible if the servicemember is qualified at the 100 percent rate.

To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program:

  • You must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
  • You must not be on active duty or a spouse using transferred entitlement.
  • Your school must agree to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
  • Your school must have not offered Yellow Ribbon to more than the maximum number of individuals, as stated in their participation agreement.
  • Your school must certify your enrollment to the VA and provide Yellow Ribbon Program information.

You may be eligible if you fit the following circumstances:

  • You served an aggregate period of 36 months in active duty after September 10, 2001.
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on the service eligibility criteria listed above.

Determination of your eligibility is made by the VA and you must file an application with the VA at

If you are eligible for GI Bill or other VA education benefits, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (CE). When you enroll at BW, you need to submit your CE to BW's certifying official, Marcia Shaffer ( for certification of participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Funds will be credited to your BW account toward tuition. Future benefits from the Yellow Ribbon Program require that you maintain satisfactory academic progress, conduct and attendance in compliance with federal and institutional regulations and policies. The Yellow Ribbon Program benefits are only applicable for education received after August 1, 2009.