College Level Examination Program
The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) helps you earn college credit for what you already know, for a fraction of the cost of a college course. Developed by the College Board, CLEP is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program, available at more than 2,900 colleges and universities. Standardized tests administered on a computer allow students to demonstrate their knowledge in a wide variety of subjects and earn college credit. Pass any of the 33 CLEP exams and achieve your college and career goals.
CLEP recommends following these steps:
- Learn about your school's CLEP policy: Baldwin Wallace University CLEP Policy (CLEP credit) or other institutions
- Decide on which CLEP exam(s) to take: CLEP exams available (see all horizontal tabs) and exam descriptions and fact sheets
- Register and pay for a CLEP Exam Registration Ticket through My Account on the CLEP website at http://clep.collegeboard.org (Get Started with CLEP link). The CLEP Registration Ticket confirms your CLEP exam purchase but does not reserve a seat at your preferred test center.
- Find test centers and reserve a CLEP test date for your exam.
- Prepare for your exam. Find study resources, tips, and samples.
Baldwin Wallace University is a national test center for CLEP (Test Center #1050). Baldwin Wallace test center does not administer or require exams with essays. (e.g. College Composition - with essay)
BW CLEP TEST DATES & TIMES: (limited seating)
Testing is by appointment only: Monday-Friday at 9:30 or 10:00 a.m. Some dates might not be available.
Reserve a CLEP test date at BW after registering directly with CLEP:
The CLEP Registration Ticket (issued through CLEP's My Account registration portal) confirms your CLEP exam purchase but does not reserve a seat at your preferred test center. Reserve a test date at BW by contacting Ria Solloway at email@example.com or (440) 826-2297 at least one week prior to the exam. BW will email your reservation confirmation. Reservations are handled by the Adult & Continuing Education office.
FEES - The $105 total cost for each CLEP test must be made in two payments:
- CLEP Exam Registration Fee: The $80 CLEP exam fee must be paid by credit card for each exam through My Account on the CLEP website at http://clep.collegeboard.org Acceptable credit cards: MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or JCB. CLEP Exam Registration Tickets are nonrefundable after seven days and valid for six months. Bring your printed CLEP Exam Registration Ticket on test day that includes your ticket ID number required for testing.
- BW Test Administration Fee: A nonrefundable $25 check or money order (payable to Baldwin Wallace University), or exact cash is due on test day before beginning any exam.
Military personnel eligibility for DANTES-funded CLEP exams or veteran reimbursement is posted at http://clep.collegeboard.org/military or http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/national_testing.asp.
- CLEP examinations are approximately 90 minutes. (Plan on two hours total time.)
- CLEP scores do not affect your GPA.
- Passing scores earn academic credit. CLEP exams are scored between 20 and 80. (BW requires a passing CLEP score of at least 50.)
- Scores are reported to the designated school(s) in approximately 5 business days.
- CLEP policy states that you must wait three months before repeating an exam with the same title.
- Baldwin Wallace students are encouraged to consult with their academic advisor before registering for a CLEP exam.
For further information about CLEP visit http://clep.collegeboard.org/
Testing Location - Directions:
Bonds Hall, 275 Eastland Road, Baldwin Wallace University, Berea, OH 44017-2088. Testing is held in Bonds Hall - room 102 on the BW campus. There is visitor parking in the row closest to Eastland Road.
Contact Information and Cancellation/Reschedule Policy:
All appointments, cancellations, and rescheduling requests must be directed to Ria Solloway in Adult & Continuing Education at firstname.lastname@example.org or (440) 826-2297. Due to limited seating, please notify BW when plans change.
On the Day of the Test:
- Arrive 15-20 minutes early. If test takers arrive LATE to their scheduled test sessions, they will NOT be allowed to take the test. Plan on two hours for each exam.
- Bring one valid, government-issued ID that has both a photo and a signature.
- Examples of government-issued ID: Driver's or Non-Driver's License, Military ID (Common Access Card), Passport, State or Federal ID, Certificate of Citizenship
- Unacceptable ID: Credit/Debit cards of any kind, Social Security card, Employee ID
- Bring your printed CLEP Exam Registration Ticket (issued through CLEP's My Account registration portal) that includes a ticket ID number required for testing.
- Bring exact cash, check or money order (payable to Baldwin Wallace University) for the $25 BW Test Administration Fee.
- Exam breaks are not scheduled.
- Do not bring books, papers, beepers, cell phones, other electronic devices or watches that beep or have an alarm.
- Do not bring a calculator to the exam. If a calculator is required, it is built into the test and will be available to you on the computer.
BW Students: The following list includes examinations accepted by, and administered at Baldwin Wallace University (Test Center 1050). Students are encouraged to consult with their academic advisor before registering for a CLEP exam. BW requires a minimum CLEP score of 50. BW does not administer or require exams with essays.
Note: This listing is subject to BW Registrar policy change.
Subject and General* Examinations
Introductory Business Law
Principles of Management
Principles of Marketing
Composition and Literature:
ENG 250 FD
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
ENG Lit.-100 level
College Composition Modular - no essay
ENG Lit.-100 level
World Languages: one exam covers levels 1 & 2, credit granted depends on score
French Language (Levels 1 and 2)
German Language (Levels 1 and 2)
Spanish Language (Levels 1 and 2)
History and Social Sciences:
POL 101 D
History of the U.S. I: Early Colonization to 1877
History of the U.S. II: 1648 to the Present
Human Growth and Development
Introduction to Educational Psychology
SOC 100 D
Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648
HIS 121 I
Western Civilization II:
HIS 122 I
Science and Mathematics:
Social Sciences and History*
Exams administered at BW CLEP Test Center, but not accepted as BW course equivalents:
*Students may not receive credit for general examinations if they have already earned college credit in more than one discipline covered by the appropriate general examination.