2014 Orientation Leader Application
Thank you for your interest in becoming an 2014 Orientation Leader!
Each year the Orientation Staff looks for a diverse pool of qualified candidates to pick the best Orientation Team possible. Orientation Leaders play an integral role in our Summer Orientation and Weekend of Welcome programs and have an enormous impact on incoming students and their families.
Qualified Orientation Leader candidates should have the following:
- Good Communication Skills - you will be talking with new students and families all the time. You need to be able to listen to their needs and assist them properly.
- A Welcoming Personality - not necessarily the most outgoing, but someone who welcomes people to BW and makes them feel comfortable.
- Enjoys Meeting New People - you can't be shy! You will meet hundreds of new students as an Orientation Leader!
- Good Knowledge of BW - we teach you things as well, but it always helps to know a lot about BW!
- Shows BW Pride / School Spirit regularly - we want to show that BW really is the best choice for these students!
- Works Well With Others - you will be working with a team of your peers as well as with new students. It's important that you can get along well with other people!
- Shows Good Initiative - you will be given assignments but it's important to anticipate people's needs rather than wait to be told what to do.
- Flexibility - you never know what will happen during Orientation, so you need to be ready for change at a moment's notice.
- Comfortable Leading Group Discussions and Talking in front of Large Groups - you will lead small groups and share your experiences with hundreds of students.
- Embraces Diversity in Yourself and Others - as part of our Mission at BW to continue to be contributing compassionate citizens in an increasing global society!
- Lastly, HAVE FUN! - it will be one of the best experiences you'll ever have!
In addition to the above qualities, Orientation Leaders MUST also have the following:
- A GPA of at least 2.5 or higher
- Be in GOOD Judicial Standing with the University
- Be trained as a Certified Peer Educator - we will be offering an ALL OL training after Spring Break.
Orientation Leader Applications are due January 29, 2014 by 12:00pm (NOON).
- Applicants will be notified if they are invited to an interview. Not all applicants will be invited to interview.
- Applicants cannot serve as both a Resident Assistant AND Orientation Leader. You will have to chose if you are offered both positions.
- If you are selected as a Summer Orientation Leader you MUST also be a Weekend of Welcome Orientation Leader.
- You must be able to attend all days of training and the actual Orientations. Training for both Summer and W.O.W. start in the morning and end later at night, so you must be prepared to be with us the whole time.