Driving Rules for University Vehicles
- All University employees/students who operate University-owned vehicles must comply with all policies, procedures, rules and instructions covering the use of University-owned vehicles.
- All drivers must possess a driver's license that is valid in the State of Ohio. Anyone with an accumulation of four or more points for moving violations is prohibited from operating University-owned vehicles until the accumulated point total is reduced to two points.
- University vehicles may be driven only by authorized employees/students of the University. Students may drive if they are at least 18 years old.
- All drivers of University-owned VANS must complete the van training program offered by the University.
- University-owned vehicles may be used exclusively for official University business. Personal business or pleasure use is prohibited.
- Passengers are limited to those persons who are properly authorized to participate in a University function with an employee/student traveling on official business. Where properly authorized, this includes the employee's/student's spouse, students or guests of the University whose presence as a passenger is directly related to the employee's/student's official business trip.
- No drivers shall transport more passengers in a vehicle than the vehicle is designed to haul. In most cases this is the same number of factory-installed seat belts in the vehicles.
- It is the driver's responsibility to ensure the use of seat belts by ALL vehicle occupants.
- All traffic and parking laws are to be obeyed. All violation fines are the responsibility of the driver involved.
- At no time should a University-owned or rental vehicle be driven at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.
- All accidents are to be reported within 24 hours even if another vehicle is not involved or there are no apparent injuries or damages.
- Operators and passengers of University-owned vehicles are personally responsible for vehicles operated by them. Should damage result through misuse or gross negligence, the operator and/or passengers may be required to make restitution to the University.
- University vehicles may not be rented or loaned to outside groups, individuals or organizations.
- Alcoholic beverages and smoking are not allowed on any vehicle owned by, rented by, leased by, chartered by, in the custody of or under the control of the University at any time.
- Trips which require an overnight stay must be accompanied by a faculty or staff member of the University. The faculty or staff member must be the driver or passenger in the University-owned vehicle and must be there for the entire duration of the trip.