Hours: M - F 8:30 - 12:00 & 1:00 - 5:00
Location: Ritter Library, 2nd Floor
Phone: (440) 826-2147
Fax: (440) 826-6894
Learning and Study Strategies Inventory
The Baldwin Wallace University Learning Center provides academic coaching for students using the Learning and Study Strategies Inventory or LASSI.
The LASSI is a 10-scale, 80 item assessment of students' awareness about and use of learning and study strategies related to skill, will and self-regulation components of strategic learning. The focus is on both covert and overt thoughts, behaviors, attitudes and beliefs that relate to successful learning and that can be altered through educational interventions. Research has repeatedly demonstrated that these factors contribute significantly to success in college and that can be learned or enhanced through educational interventions such as academic coaching or skills building courses.
The LASSI provides standardized scores (percentile score equivalents) and national norms for ten different scales (there is no total score since this is a diagnostic measure). The LASSI is both diagnostic and prescriptive. It provides students with a diagnosis of their strengths and weaknesses compared to other college students, in the areas covered by the 10 scales; and is prescriptive in that it provides feedback about the areas where students need to improve their knowledge, attitudes and skills. The LASSI can be used as:
- a basis for improving all student's learning and study strategies;
- a diagnostic measure to help identify areas in which students could benefit most from educational interventions;
- a counseling tool for college orientation programs, developmental education programs, and learning centers;
- a pre-post achievement measure for students participating in programs or courses focusing on learning strategies and study skills;
- an evaluation tool to access the degree of success of intervention programs or courses;
The LASSI is NOT meant to be used as:
- a diagnostic measure to help identify learning disabilities;
- a tool that measures intelligence; or
- a determinant of success or failure in college.
Learning Center Staff work individually with students to develop an intervention strategy tailored to their needs. It is our hope that this action will result in students who are more readily prepared for their college experience and provide them with the necessary skill to graduate from college and be lifelong learners.