2013 Obie Bender Awards
The 12th annual awards are named for Dr. Obie Bender ’62, who was an officer of the University for 36 years. Throughout his tenure Bender provided exceptional leadership as a BW administrative liaison and was responsible for intercollegiate athletics, campus security and the Health and Physical Education and Recreation facilities.
The following distinguished students received awards this year:
- Outstanding First-Year – Jeanetta Jean Spencer ‘15 from Cleveland
- Outstanding Sophomore – Doanise Thompson ‘15 from Lorain
- Outstanding Junior – Le'anna Miller ‘14 from Cleveland
- Outstanding Senior – Ariel Marbury '13 from Cleveland
Community Service – Alfrie Davis '14 from Lynwood, Illinois
Outstanding Campus Involvement – Armand Rivers '15 from South Euclid
- Global Citizen – Tiera Cummings ’13 from Cleveland
- Outstanding Student Organization of the Year – Black Student Alliance, Ken Atchinson, Advisor
- Faculty/Administrator Award – Dr. Trina Dobberstein, Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students
Bender, who continues his association with athletics as the player program consultant for the Cleveland Browns and as a member of the Board of directors of the PGA, attended the awards ceremony with his wife, Betty. Bender also developed the educational component of the Renee Powell PGA Youth Golf Cadre Program, which was the model for the PGA’s First Tee youth program.
Class of 2013 recognition
Posted May 2013