A mace is used in academic and ecclesiastical processions as a symbol of authority.
In the sessions of the British House of Commons, the mace is placed on the treasury table.
The U.S. House of Representatives places it to the right of the speaker.
Baldwin Wallace will symbolically mark its transition from a college to a university as its current ceremonial mace is retired and a new one is commissioned. The current mace will be put in a place of honor in the Historian's House.
The ceremonial mace, which is carried in academic processions, is a symbol of academic authority and a part of Baldwin Wallace history. During formal ceremonies, the BW mace is carried by the senior member of the faculty.
Existing Mace: A Gift from BW's Fifth President
A gift in 1981 from retiring president Alfred Bryan Bonds, Jr., the existing BW mace was designed by Dr. Bonds. The staff itself was turned from walnut by James W. Wehe, a Baldwin Wallace Buildings and Grounds employee. The sterling silver head, bearing the BW seal, was created by art professor Roberta Williamson. The silver bands at the top of the staff give the dates of the founding of Baldwin Institute (1845), Baldwin University (1855), German Wallace College (1863), and the merger of the schools to form Baldwin-Wallace College in 1913.
New Mace: Symbolic Transition of BW History
The new mace, which is brown and gold to reflect institutional colors, is made of walnut with two bronze medals and five brass rings for accent. Rich in color and design, it is 42.5 inches tall and includes the BW seal and five brass rings signifying important dates in Baldwin Wallace history: founding of Baldwin Institute, transition to Baldwin University, founding of German Wallace College, merger of the two institutions to form Baldwin-Wallace College, and change to Baldwin Wallace University in 2012.