Contact: (440) 826-3408, email@example.com
BW's Federal ID Code: 003014
Choose Ohio First STEM Scholars Program
Baldwin Wallace University offers an innovative, proven scholarship program to prepare students for careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). The Choose Ohio First STEM Scholarship Program is funded by the State of Ohio on an annual basis as part of the state's strategic effort to significantly strengthen Ohio's position in world markets such as aerospace, medicine, computer technology and alternative energy.
According to a report by the Center on Education and the Workforce, eight million new jobs will be available in STEM-related fields by 2018. People with a bachelor's degree in a STEM major earn roughly $500,000 more over their lifetimes than non-STEM majors.
As a BW freshman, you can collaborate with faculty, work in state-of-the-art facilities and conduct research. Why wait until you are an upperclassman? Having the opportunity to gain four years of hands-on experience before you graduate sets you apart from the competition.
Incoming students pursuing eligible STEM majors may apply to BW's Choose Ohio First STEM Scholars Program. Our STEM Scholars receive financial, academic and social support and graduate with STEM degrees at rates that well exceed national averages.
Why be a STEM Scholar?
STEM scholars will:
- participate in the program's coaching, educational and social activities.
- meet with a personal STEM Scholar success coach each semester.
- complete a hands-on experience.
- learn how to build strong social networks.
- engage with business leaders.
- explore innovation and entrepreneurship through academic and project-based experiences.
- have the option to apply to reside in the STEM Living Learning Community by indicating their preference on the housing application.
- maintain good academic standing with the University and earn a satisfactory grade point average (at least a 2.5 GPA for freshmen).
- receive consideration for scholarship support, contingent on funding availability from the State of Ohio.
How do I qualify?
Incoming freshmen, transfer, adult and veteran students who have been admitted to BW and are Ohio residents are eligible to apply. Underrepresented and first-generation students are encouraged to apply.
Eligible majors include: biology, chemistry, computer information systems, computer science, mathematics, neuroscience, physics and sustainability (sciences and quantitative tracks).
How do I apply?
The Choose Ohio First STEM Scholars Program application consists of:
Students and nominators must email completed application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
For incoming 2015-16 freshmen:
- February 1, 2015
- March 1, 2015
- April 1, 2015
For incoming 2015-16 transfer, adult and veteran students:
- July 1, 2015
- August 1, 2015
What if I have questions?
Please send questions to email@example.com.