Social Work Affiliated Program
Baldwin Wallace University has a 3+2 affiliation with Case Western University, leading to a bachelor's degree from Baldwin Wallace and a Master's in Social Service Administration (professional social work) from Case Western Reserve University (Case). Students complete three years of study at Baldwin Wallace, meeting the requirements listed below. In the third (junior) year they apply for admission to the Senior Year in Professional Studies Program at the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences at Case.
At the successful completion of the first year of the graduate program at Case (30 semester credit hours), Baldwin Wallace will award the B.A. Case will award the MSSA at the successful completion of the graduate program, at which time the student has the academic qualifications to test for certification as a Licensed Independent Social Worker in the State of Ohio. Persons holding a Master's in Social Service Administration and the LISW are fully qualified to supervise social service casework, manage social service agencies and establish their own private practice in counseling. For additional information regarding recommended courses of study, application of transfer credit and program residency requirements, students are urged to consult with the BW liaison person (contact the Sociology Department) or a member of the Admission counseling staff.
Students majoring in sociology should take four or more courses in psychology. Those majoring in psychology should take four or more courses in sociology. All 3+2 students, in both majors, should work with the BW liaison person, located in the Sociology Department, as well as their regular advisors.
- Completion of all core requirements at Baldwin Wallace
- Completion of at least 33 hours in either a sociology or psychology major, with elective courses taken in the other department (student should have a strong background in both sociology and psychology)
- GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Minimum of 94 credit hours of undergraduate course work completed prior to admission to CWRU's Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences (students who transfer credits to BW must complete a minimum of 60 credit hours at BW)
- Strong faculty recommendations from BW and recommendation of the BW program coordinator
- Meet all academic and personal requirements of the Admissions Committee at the Mandel School for acceptance into the graduate program
Minimum credits required: at least 60 total credits at Baldwin Wallace including a minimum of 33 credits in either the sociology or psychology major (plus prerequisites where applicable).