To avoid violations of FERPA rules...
- Do keep only those individual student records necessary for the fulfillment of your teaching and advising responsibilities. Private notes of a faculty member concerning a student and intended for the faculty member's own use are not part of the student's educational records.
- Do keep any personal professional records relating to individual students separate from their educational records. Private records of instructional, supervisory, and administrative personnel and ancillary educational personnel are to be kept in the sole possession of the maker and are not to be accessible or revealed to any other person, except a substitute.
- Do change factual information regarding grades and performance in an educational record when the student is able to provide valid Documentation that information is inaccurate or misleading. The substantive judgment of a faculty member about a student's work, expressed in grades and/or evaluations, is not within the purview of students' right to challenge their educational records.
- Do not display student scores or grades publicly in association with names, Social Security Numbers, or other personal identifiers. If scores or grades are posted, use some code known only to you and the individual student.
- Do not put papers, graded exams books, or lab reports containing student names and grades in publicly accessible places. Students are not to have access to the scores and grades of others in class in ways that allow other students to be identified.
- Do not request information from the educational record custodian without a legitimate educational interest and the appropriate authority to Do so.
- Do not share student educational record information, including grades or grade point averages, with other faculty or staff members of the University unless their official responsibilities identify their "legitimate educational interest" in that information for that student.
- Do not share information from student educational records, including grades or grade point averages, with parents or others outside the institution, including letters of recommendation, without written permission from the student.
- Do not provide anyone with lists or photos of students enrolled in your classes for any commercial use.
- Do not provide anyone with student schedules or assist anyone other than Baldwin Wallace employees in finding a student on campus.
- When in doubt, err on the side of caution and Do not release student educational information. Contact Registrar's Office for guidance.
I have read and understood this page. Go to next page >>
Return to previous page.