BW Women’s Tennis Team Beats St. John Fisher (N.Y.), 7-2, on First Day of Spring Trip
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SOUTH CAROLINA -- The defending Ohio Athletic Conference champion Baldwin Wallace University women’s tennis team opened its 2012 Spring Break Trip to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina today (Sunday, March 4) with a 7-2 victory against St. John Fisher (N.Y.) College. The Yellow Jacket women will play six more matches down south.
With its victory, BW improves to 1-5 overall. St. John Fisher dropped to 6-7 overall.
In singles play, junior number two player Rebecca Mittler (Elyria/Elyria Catholic) won by the scores of 7-5 and 6-2, sophomore No.3 player Morgan Baker (Vermilion/Elyria Catholic) won by the scores of 6-0 and 6-0, junior No.4 player Danielle Rueger (Ashland) won by the scores of 6-2 and 6-2, sophomore No.5 player Whitney Yoder (Medina) won by the scores of 6-1, 2-6 and 6-0 and freshman Rachel Bertrand (Avon) won by default.
In doubles action, the No.1 tandem of Mittler and Baker won by the score of 8-2 and the No.3 tandem of senior Emily Brown (Vermilion) and Rueger won by default.
The BW women are back in action tomorrow, Monday, March 5 when it plays Saint Vincent (Pa.) College at 8:00 a.m. and then faces Catholic University (Washington DC) at 6:00 p.m.
Baldwin Wallace -- 7, St. John Fisher (N.Y.) -- 2
1. Elena Vahl (SJF) defeated Jenny Greene (BW), 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-1)
2. Rebecca Mittler (BW) def. Kathryn Pasier (SJF), 7-5, 6-2
3. Morgan Baker (BW) def. Marissa Rotondo (SJF), 6-0, 6-0
4. Danielle Rueger (BW) def. Kim Phimsipasom (SJF), 6-2, 6-2
5. Whitney Yoder (BW) def. Lauren Burke (SJF), 6-1, 2-6, 1-0
6. Rachel Bertrand (BW) won by default.
1. Mittler/ Baker (BW) def. Vahl/ Rotondo (SJF), 8-2;
2. Burke/ Pasier (SJF) def. Greene/ Yoder (BW), 8-5;
3. Bertrand/ Brown (BW) won by default.