BW Women’s Tennis Team Beats Catholic (Wash. D.C.), 6-3, on Second Day of Spring Trip
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SOUTH CAROLINA -- The defending Ohio Athletic Conference champion Baldwin Wallace University women’s tennis team defeated Catholic University (Washington D.C.), 6-3, this evening (Monday, March 5, 2012) in the third match of its Annual Spring Break Trip to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. The Yellow Jacket women also won earlier this morning when they beat Saint Vincent (Pa.) College, 5-4, and have a 3-0 mark so far on their southern trip.
With its victory, BW, which has advanced to the NCAA Division III National Tournament four of the past five years, is now 3-5 overall. Catholic is now 3-5 overall.
BW jumped out to a 2-1 lead after the doubles competition and then won four of six singles matches to claim its third straight triumph.
In singles play, senior No.1 player Jenny Greene (Worthington/ Thomas Worthington) won by the scores of 6-4 and 6-1, junior No.2 player Rebecca Mittler (Elyria/Elyria Catholic) won by the scores of 7-6, including 7-3 in the tie-breaker, and 6-0, sophomore Morgan Baker (Vermilion/ Elyria Catholic) won by the scores of 6-3 and 6-1 and freshman No.6 player Rachel Bertrand (Avon) won by the scores of 6-3 and 6-2.
In doubles action, the No.1. duo of Mittler and Baker won by an 8-4 score and the No.2 tandem of Greene and Yoder won by an 8-6 count.
The BW women are back in action tomorrow, Tuesday, March 6 when it plays NCAA Division II Walsh University at 9:00 a.m. and then faces Division II Shawnee State University at 6:30 p.m.
FINAL SCORE: Baldwin Wallace -- 6, Catholic (Wash. DC) -- 3
1. Jenny Greene (BW) defeated Margie Selinger (C), 6-4, 6-1
2. Rebecca Mittler (BW) def. Ritamarie Holden (C), 7-6 (7-3), 6-0
3. Morgan Baker (BW) def. Andie Ingram (C), 6-3, 6-1
4. Isabel Tanco (C) def. Danielle Rueger (BW), 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Emma Needham (C) def. Whitney Yoder (BW), 6-4, 6-4
6. Rachel Bertrand (BW) def. Rosemary Montani (C), 6-3, 6-2
1. Mittler/ Baker (BW) def. Selinger/ Elaina Sceusa (C), 8-4
2. Greene/ Yoder (BW) def. Ingram/ Tanco (C), 8-6
3. Needham/ Caitlin Porter (C) def. Rueger/ Brown (BW), 8-6