BW Women’s Tennis Team Beats Saint Vincent (Pa.), 5-4, on Second Day of Spring Trip
Box Score | Updated Season Statistics
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SOUTH CAROLINA -- The defending Ohio Athletic Conference champion Baldwin Wallace University women’s tennis team defeated Saint Vincent (Pa.) College, 5-4, this morning (Monday, March 5, 2012) in the second match of its Annual Spring Break Trip to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. The Yellow Jacket women will play five more matches while in Hilton Head, including a 6:00 p.m. match this evening versus Catholic University (Washington, DC).
With its victory, BW is now 2-5 overall, including 2-0 on its trip to Hilton Head. In addition, the Yellow Jacket victory was the 316th of Head Coach Jack Bethlenfalvy’s career. He is the winningest women’s tennis coach in the Ohio Athletic Conference and in Ohio colegiate tennis history. Saint Vincent, which had a 15-3 mark this fall, is now 0-1 this spring.
BW took a 2-1 lead after the doubles competition and split the six singles matches to record its second straight victory in Hilton Head.
In singles play, junior number one player Rebecca Mittler (Elyria/ Elyria Catholic) won by the scores of 6-1 and 6-1, junior No.4 player Danielle Rueger (Ashland) won by the scores of 6-0 and 6-1 and freshman No.6 player Rachel Bertrand (Avon) won by the scores of 1-6, 6-2 and 1-0, including 10-7 in the third set tie-breaker.
In doubles action, the No.1 duo of Mittler and sophomore Morgan Baker (Vermilion/ Elyria Catholic) won by the score of 8-5 and the No.3 tandem of Rueger and senior Emily Brown (Vermilion) won by an 8-6 count.
Following tonight’s match versus Catholic, the BW women are back in action tomorrow, Tuesday, March 6 when it plays NCAA Division II Walsh University at 9:00 a.m. and then faces Division II Shawnee State University at 6:30 p.m.
FINAL SCORE: Baldwin Wallace -- 5, Saint Vincent (Pa.) -- 4
1. Rebecca Mittler (BW) defeated Alexis Cup (SV), 6-1, 6-1
2. Amanda Gans (SV) def. Jenny Greene (BW), 6-4, 6-2
3. Emily Morris (SV) def. Morgan Baker (BW), 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-5)
4. Danielle Rueger (BW) def. Jessica McKetta (SV), 6-0, 6-1
5. Jessa Peruch (SV) def. Whitney Yoder (BW), 7-6 (7-2), 7-5
6. Rachel Bertrand (BW) def. Kylie Auman (SV), 1-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Mittler/ Baker (BW) def. Cup/ Gans (SV), 8-5
2. Morris/ Paruch (SV) def. Greene/ Yoder (BW), 8-3
3. Rueger/ Brown (BW) def. McKetta/ Chantel Mitchell (SV), 8-6