BW Men’s Tennis Team Beats St. John Fisher (N.Y.), 9-0, on First Day of Spring Trip
Box Score | Updated Season Statistics
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SOUTH CAROLINA -- The Baldwin Wallace University men’s tennis team defeated St. John Fisher (N.Y.) College, 9-0, tonight (Sunday, March 4, 2012) on the first day of its Annual Spring Break Trip to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. The Yellow Jacket men will play five more matches while down south.
With its win, BW is now a perfect 9-0 this season, including a 2-0 record last fall and a 6-0 slate during the winter portion of its schedule. St. John Fisher drops to 0-4 overall.
In singles play, senior number one player Alex Trzeciak (Avon Lake) won by the scores of 6-2 and 6-4, junior No.2 player Joe Horvath (North Royalton) won by the scores of 6-0 and 6-0, senior No.3 player Josh Patterson (Wooster/ Triway) won by the scores of 6-2 and 6-2, senior No.4 player Alexandre Bourdiaux (Paris, FRANCE/Lycee Saint Dominique) won by the scores of 6-0 and 6-2, junior No.5 player Alex Kearney (North Olmsted) won by the scores of 6-0 and 6-0 and junior No.6 player Tyler Beaton (Bemus Point, N.Y./ Maple Grove) won by the scores of 6-7 (9-11 tie-breaker), 6-2 and 1-0 (10-2 pro-set).
In doubles action, the No.1 duo of Trzeciak and Bourdiaux won by an 8-5 score, the No.2 tandem of Horvath and Beaton won by an 8-3 tally and the No.3 group of senior Taylor Long (Ashland/ Senior) and sophomore Brad Minrovic (Akron/ Ellet) won by the score of 8-3.
Tomorrow, Monday, March 5, BW will play a pair of matches as it faces Roanoke (Va.) College at 9:30 a.m. (switched from an 8:30 a.m. start) and then plays Eastern Nazarene (Pa.) College at 6:30 p.m. in Hilton Head.
Today’s victory against St. John Fisher gives BW veteran Head Coach and former Academic All-American Brian Rector 394 career wins and runs his career record to an amazing 394-83 in 23 seasons. Rector is the winningest tennis coach in Ohio Athletic Conference and Ohio collegiate tennis history.
Baldwin Wallace -- 9, St. John Fisher (N.Y.) -- 0
1. Alex Trzeciak (BW) defeated defeated John Whelehan (SJF), 6-2, 6-4
2. Joe Horvath (BW) def. Greg Duffy (SJF), 6-0, 6-0
3. Kyle Patterson (BW) def. Joseph Aquino (SJF), 6-2, 6-2
4. Alex Bourdiaux (BW) def. Daniel Parshall (SJF), 6-0, 6-2
5. Alex Kearney (BW) def. Sheldon Mitchell (SJF), 6-0, 6-0
6. Tyler Beaton (BW) def. Chris Maley (SJF), 7-7 (9-11), 6-2, 1-0 (10-2)
1. Trzeciak/ Bourdiaux (BW) def. Duffy/ Whelehan (SJF), 8-5
2. Horvath/ Beaton (BW) def. Mitchell/ Pershall (SJF), 8-3
3. Taylor Long/ Brad Minrovic (BW) def. Maley/ Tom Quinzi (SJF), 8-3