1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

  • BW Baldwin Wallace College

Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

Can I get into my dorm if I arrive before Orientation?
Yes.  The International Student Services Office will have the keys for you.  After the ambassadors pick you up at the airport, they will take you to your residence hall.

When will I meet my academic advisor and register for classes?
You will meet your academic advisor and register for classes at Orientation.

What is the procedure for a free pick up at the airport?
You need to call Ms. Lurline Brotherson at 440-826-2134 or email her at
lbrother@bw.edu  Give her your detailed flight information, such as airline, flight number, departure and arrival dates and the time you are arriving at the Hopkins International Airport in Cleveland, Ohio.

Should I bring at least one traditional dress?
Yes.  We have cultural events each semester and we ask every student to wear their traditional dress, if they have one, for these events.

How can I improve my written and oral English skills at BW?
You can register to take ESL 101 Speaking/Listening and ESL 102 Advance Grammar classes for 3 credits each. We also encourage you to make American friends, get involved on campus, join a club, and go to campus events like Global Friends Hour.

Are there scholarships available to International Students?

Yes. Scholarships available range up to $14,000 based on academics and financial need.

Will the school help me to adjust to the new environment?
Yes.  We will offer Orientation to all the international students to help you get familiar with the new environment and understand American culture and the education system. International Student Ambassadors will assist you in adjusting to Baldwin Wallace University and American way of life.   Due to the importance of Orientation, it is mandatory for all  new students to attend.

How many classes should I register for each semester?
As an F-1 student, you MUST be a full time student in order to maintain your F-1 student status.

  • If you are an undergraduate student, you have to register for at least 12 credit hours per semester.
  • If you are a graduate student, you have to register for at least 9 credit hours per semester.
    Otherwise you will be out of status. It is your responsibility to maintain your status so that you are eligible for an F-1 student's benefits.

Can I work on campus?
Yes. As an F-1 student, you are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week on campus while school is in session.  International students are not permitted to work off-campus without authorization.  More information regarding employment will be given at Orientation

What is the best way to meet American people and make new friends?
The best way is to get involved in campus life.  You have to take the initiative and reach out.  You will make a lot more friends if you reach out than if you wait for others to come to you.  You can join a club according to your own interests or volunteer in the community.

When should I pay my bill?
After you register for classes, you should receive a bill from the college (in about two weeks) which will explain when the bill is due and how much you should pay.  The DUE  DATE is the date by which you must pay your bill in full or you will have a finance charge. You can also choose where you want to have the bill sent--to your parents or to you. 

Where should I pay my bill?
Pay your bill at the Casher’s Office in the Bonds Administration Building.