Veterans and Military


You've already earned valuable credit toward your degree at BW! 

Honorably discharged veterans receive up to 25 transfer credits for their military training and experience. Submit your DD Form 214 and any military transcripts detailing your training and education to the Office of Admission. BW will review these records for possible college credit.


College Credit for Your Military Training

Veterans understand that their commitment to military training required intensive learning and skill development in many areas. They are often surprised to learn that this training and education is worth valuable college credit toward a bachelor's degree at BW.

How Does Military Credit Work Toward Your Degree?

To honor and acknowledge your military training and experience, Baldwin Wallace University grants up to 25 transfer credits to veterans who have received an honorable discharge for their military experience and training.  This is in addition to any college work you may bring to BW from other regionally accredited colleges and universities.

A review of your DD Form 214 earns the following credit:

  • 2 credits - HPE 205 First Aid and Safety Education
  • 4 credits - HPE 221W Personal Health
  • 0.5 credits - HPE 110W Personal Wellness 
  • 1.5 credits - HPE Activity

In addition to the DD Form 214, equivalencies may be granted for military courses, training and experience that have received ACE college recommendations, if they are within the academic scope of Baldwin Wallace University.  If equivalencies cannot be awarded, then general elective credit will be granted toward the BW degree to a maximum of 25 hours.

To obtain military transcripts, the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard have adapted a new, consolidated system called Joint Service Transcript.  Transcripts can be accessed right now by using your CAC card or creating a login ID and password.

When applying for admission to BW, make sure the Admission Office has copies of your DD Form 214 and any official military transcripts detailing your training and education, in addition to any high school or college transcripts.  Once you have been admitted to BW, the Office of Registration and Records will review these records for college credit. 

Additional College Transfer Credit

College work completed through approved military colleges (such as Community College of the Air Force) and other regionally accredited colleges/universities will be considered for transfer credit in addition to military-related college credit.  As part of the admission process, official transcripts must be sent directly from these institutions to the BW Office of Admission before credit can be considered. 

College Level Exam Program (CLEP)

Credit earned through CLEP or DANTES may be awarded in addition to the 25 hours.  Baldwin Wallace University is a CLEP testing site.

Share |