Who are Study Abroad Peer Advisors?
Study Abroad Peer Advisors are BW students who have studied abroad and would like to encourage other BW students to participate in the experience of a lifetime! Peer Advisors participate in activities related to the promotion of study abroad programs and talk with students about all aspects of studying abroad- including study abroad application procedures, specific programs, what it is like to be away from BW for a semester or a year, how they chose their program, what the experience was like, etc.
Invite the Study Abroad Office to your meeting, event, or classroom!
Study Abroad Peer Advisors, are excited to share their experiences and help others learn how to make studying abroad a reality. Peer Advisors can give PowerPoint presentations about study abroad opportunities or can plug into your events in whatever way you see fit. The PowerPoint contains the basics about studying abroad and can also be tailored to suit the needs and interests of your group. The presentation can take as little as 5 minutes or as much as one hour depending on your needs.
Please submit your request at least one week in advance. Once a Peer Advisor is scheduled for your request, you will receive an email confirmation. To submit a request, please click here.
Interested in becoming a Peer Advisor?
If you are interested in applying to become a Peer Advisor, please complete the below application. Your anecdotes, advice, and expertise are our best resource for students who are thinking about study abroad or have already decided to study abroad. No matter how much information we try to provide students, what they really need and want is to hear what you have to say!
Qualities we are looking for in a Study Abroad Peer Advisor
- Polite, patient, flexible, open minded, professional, and cheerful
- Manages time well, is great at customer service, and is a team player (but can also work individually)
- Comfortable public speaking or a desire to improve public speaking skills
- Ability to market studying abroad to students and student organizations
- Respectful of other colleagues, students, and faculty
- Creative, self-‐starter, and works well with ambiguity
- Ability to memorize program details from all over the globe in a short amount of time
- Willing to advise students on programs that best suit their academic, professional, or personal needs
- Maintain at least a 2.7 cumulative GPA
- Be In good judicial standing.
- Commit to the position for the Academic Year (both Fall semester and Spring semester)
- Be available for 35 hours each semester
Current Peer Advisors
To learn more about what it is like to be a Peer Advisor, please feel free to contact our current peer advisors:
We are currently not accepting applications. Please be on the look-out for the 2015 application during the spring semester.
2014 Study Abroad Peer Advisor Applications
Applicants will be notified if they are invited to an interview. Not all applicants will be invited to interview. .
Please be aware you will need to complete the entire application at one time because there is no save function. We recommend answering the questions in a word document so you can save and spell check your answers then copy and past everything in the below form.