Explorations/Study Abroad


Health Considerations For Studying Abroad

Prior to Departure

Good health is important to making sure your semester is a success.  It is your responsibility to give the Explorations/Study Abroad Center up-to-date information about your physical and mental health. As part of your application, you must complete a Medical History Form and have it signed by your primary health physician. If you do not have a physician, please see below for local clinics and travel clinics. 

Please keep in mind that some countries may require certain immunizations for entry into their country.  Beyond those required immunizations, there are also many that may be recommended. Remember, some immunizations require a series or spacing between them.  For example, some shots need as long as three months for a series of shots. Please visit the Center for Disease Control for a list of required and recommended vaccinations for the locations you will be traveling in.

Please be sure your routine vaccinations are up-to-date. Below is a list of recommended routine vaccinations that all students should have:

  •  Tetanus-Diphtheria (recommended every 10 years)
  •  Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
  •  Hepatitis B (series of 3 shots given over 6 months)
  •  Meningitis

Cuyahoga County Board of Health

Clinics are located in: Parma, Broadview Hts., Cleveland Hts., East Cleveland, Euclid, Lyndhurst, Westlake, Middleburg Hts., & Strongsville

The International Travel Clinic of Fairview Health Systems

2609 Franklin Blvd.
Cleveland OH 44102

Phone: (216) 363-5198

The Center for Disease Control (CDC)


Passport Health

21825 Chagrin Blvd Suite 345
Beachwood, Ohio 44122

Phone: (216) 295-9400

While Abroad

HTH Health Coverage

All students are required to enroll in HTH international health insurance. Students will be automatically enrolled in the insurance by the Explorations/Study Abroad Office. The dates of coverage will correspond to the students program dates. The cost of the insurance will be added to the students BW account. The cost for the insurance is about $45 per month. Please note, if you decide to travel prior to or after your study abroad program dates, you will not be covered by HTH international health insurance. You will need to make your own insurance coverage arrangements. It is not required to have coverage during this time, but it is recommended.  

It is also important that you review the HTH policy certificate and brochure and understand what is and is not covered by the insurance. You will also want to note the in-network doctors, hospitals, clinics, and emergency rooms in the country you will be studying. You will be able to locate these via the HTH students website (linked above).   


You will need to maintain your current US health insurance to be sure you remain covered upon your return from studying abroad. Your current insurance also covers your pre-existing conditions and current prescriptions, if you have any.









Share |