Call for Proposals
Intercultultural Competency Across the Curriculum
- Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum - How can CLAC programs highlight culture and intercultural communication and analysis? Can we use improvements in cross-cultural competence as a “hook” to promote language use throughout the curriculum and the adoption of CLAC methods?
- CLAC and Cocurricular Programs (Study Abroad, Service Learning, Internships, others) - How can CLAC be used before, during, and after such activities to maximize acquisition of intercultural knowledge and skills? How might language and cultural learning be enhanced by innovative use of language and cultural knowledge outside the classroom?
- CLAC and Assessment - How should we assess CLAC programs and learning? Are language proficiency and cross-cultural skills assessment tools (such as ACTFL standards and the IDI) appropriate to the goals of CLAC?
- CLAC and K-16 Articulation - How can we establish workable K-16 articulation models that promote international and multicultural education?
Proposals for panels or presentations on other relevant topics will also be considered.
To offer a (25-minute) presentation or (75-minute) panel presentation, please provide the following, in the form of MS Word documents attached to an email message:
- A cover sheet including:
- Type: Paper (25 minutes, including at least 5 minutes minutes for discussion) or Panel (75 minutes, including at least two separate presentations and at least 15 minutes for questions and comments from the audience)
- Title (of your paper or panel)
- Brief Description (75-100 words)
- Names of Presenter(s) (including, as appropriate, specification of their roles, contact information for each; titles and affiliations, email addresses, telephone and fax numbers
- Brief biographical sketch (50-75 words) for each participant
- Relationship to Conference Themes
- Target Audience(s) (including what the audience(s) can expect to “take away” from your paper presentation)
- A one-page abstract (350 words) of your presentation or panel, clearly indicating what each presenter, if more than one, will contribute.
- A list of needs for your presentation or session (Internet access and on-site computers may be limited. Come prepared.)
Note: The conference organizers also welcome and encourage proposals for creative presentations. This might include videos, examples of CLAC assignments and exercises, or testimonials from student and faculty CLAC participants. For proposals of this variety, please submit the same information listed above.